FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups RanksRanks StaffStaff   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
eBay Listings See the eBay listings of our Supporting Members Painting Competition Forum Football Game Fight Club League
Space Debris Wargames Scenery

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Court Jester
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Space Debris Wargames Scenery

Over the last few days I have created these scenery templates for our local space wargames.

Feel free to download them and use them yourselves (if anyone here actually playes space combat games?? )

We print them out on a laser printer and then cut them out and get them laminated. This makes em tough and durable against the rigours of gaming.

Planets
Although the preiview images are all the same size the actual files are different sizes as mention below...

Click on the images below (or right-click and "save target as") to see the full-size image.

10" Gas Giant Planet

Another 10" Gas Giant

9" Settled Industrial World

8" Earth-like Planet

8" Earth-like Arid-Planet

6" Alien Planet

6" Ice World

6" Verdant Uninhabited World

Dust Clouds
All designed to be printed on an A4 page and then cut out as a rectangle or as a random shape.

Click on the images below (or right-click and "save target as") to see the full-size image.

fatgoblin
Master

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

nice! I like the industrial world one! Some of those nebulas looks familiar, sourced from hubble photos?

What game are you playing? My friends and I are trying out starmada again after about a year since the last time.

mate of mine put up a battle report of one of the game, I was playing the blue ships and I won!
http://napnuts.blogspot.com/2007/09/starmada-game-09-sep.html

I picked up a model set to make our solar system so I got a bunch of plastic globes to play planets with. Lazy to get them painted though...

Antenociti
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Right then CJ:

What do they call the maps where they are split into what almost looks like orange-sections? If they were done like that they would fold over a globe wouldn''t they?

get those in a format that can be printed on to decal sheet then wrapped over a globe.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision."

Court Jester
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Antenociti wrote:
Right then CJ:

What do they call the maps where they are split into what almost looks like orange-sections? If they were done like that they would fold over a globe wouldn''t they?

get those in a format that can be printed on to decal sheet then wrapped over a globe.

I never throught of that... I would have to re-make most of the images though as they have already been distorted to look spherical and they are only half a planet...

But that is certainly something I'll have a look at... although where would one find 10" - 6" spheres to wrap them around?

Antenociti
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject:

polystyrene craft globes - cost around 50p to about £3.00 depending on size.

i can also get softwood globes made but i think the polystyrene globes are the easiest and cheapest.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision."

Chris S
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Antenociti wrote:
polystyrene craft globes - cost around 50p to about £3.00 depending on size.

i can also get softwood globes made but i think the polystyrene globes are the easiest and cheapest.

Hobbycraft stock them - the polystyrene ones

Guy Carmichael
Master Level 2

Supporting Member

Location: Olde Engish Towne of Morden (home of the pound shop)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:

They are great, I like the industrial one too.

Is that a borg on the surface ?

dm
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject:

like the Verdant unhinhabited one the best and can imagine all sorts of critters on it But like them all

The industrial one looks like Google Earth air photo of my area of Nottingham

Court Jester
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Thanks guys...

fatgoblin wrote:
nice! I like the industrial world one! Some of those nebulas looks familiar, sourced from hubble photos?

Hehe... indeed most of the gas clouds are Hubble images given a black outline and sometimes re-coloured. The HUbble images are great to work with because they are so HUGE!

The industrial planet is my favourite as well... it was made from sattelite shots of the Australian coastline and a sattelite image of Karbul...

fatgoblin wrote:
What game are you playing? My friends and I are trying out starmada again after about a year since the last time.

mate of mine put up a battle report of one of the game, I was playing the blue ships and I won!

I picked up a model set to make our solar system so I got a bunch of plastic globes to play planets with. Lazy to get them painted though...

We are playing Babylon 5: A Call to Arms. Just started a campaign so I used my planets above to make a lovely A3 Map...

Although I am still looking for names for most of the planets... suggestions are more than welcome...

fatgoblin
Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject:

the easiest way is to think of a name for the system and assign numbers to the planets... Jester IV or something...

if you can't think of a name, VBAM have got a campaign map with the star systems near to our own. Most of the names are quite boring though. maybe Eridani?
http://www.vbamgames.com/resources/
(the nearby stars file listed under campagn maps)

squeaky
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject:

Court Jester wrote:
Thanks guys...

fatgoblin wrote:

Hehe... indeed most of the gas clouds are Hubble images given a black outline and sometimes re-coloured. The HUbble images are great to work with because they are so HUGE!

The industrial planet is my favourite as well... it was made from sattelite shots of the Australian coastline and a sattelite image of Karbul...

fatgoblin wrote:

We are playing Babylon 5: A Call to Arms. Just started a campaign so I used my planets above to make a lovely A3 Map...

Although I am still looking for names for most of the planets... suggestions are more than welcome...

coorrr, I wish you were running a campaign around these parts!!
great stuff!!
http://www.redzedz.com

Lupus
Experienced

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Love the map and also the planets very nice indeed...

When we did ours i used either google or live search to get planet piccies..

Dave T
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject:

A friend of mine has an airbrushed 6'x4' play mat that looks very similar to the first of the dust clouds.

Now if only i was good at freehand with my airbrush that might be a market to investigate
Post new topic       Steve Dean Painting Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: