FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups RanksRanks StaffStaff   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
eBay Listings See the eBay listings of our Supporting Members Painting Competition Winners Forum Football Game Fight Club League
Testors Dullcote
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Dave T
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject:

Eric wrote:
redzed wrote:
no.
If you have too much white spirit in your brush you'll get 'white bloom', so always dry your brush and use a test figure.

I seem to remember Antenocitti describing the use of cellulose thinners for Testors, since it was a lacquer, rather than white spirit. I think that he bought them in B+Q.

Does anyone know if the whiteout effect happens with cellulose thinners as well as white spirit?

I have had to repaint a couple of figures due to the whiteout effect, which has put me off Testors a bit, but if it's safer with the proper thinners I may try again.

Throwing it away and buying a cheap ass can of Krylon matte is the best choice

Antenociti
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject:

yeah always use a cellulose thinners with lacquers as they are cellulose based

NB In the UK sometimes "normal" spray varnishes are called lacquer even though they aren't i.e. they aren't cellulose based but spirit based - check the can for details and dont rely on the name.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision."

Koz10
Master Level 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject:

Testor's is the only brand I used for my most important projects. It's pricey but worth it.

DaRat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Just remember that Testors DullCote can yellow over time if it gets exposed to enough sunlight. I suspect that most figures aren't stored where sunlight hits them frequently and probably will be okay.
Post new topic       Steve Dean Painting Forum Index -> Painting All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: