FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups RanksRanks StaffStaff   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
eBay Listings See the eBay listings of our Supporting Members Painting Competition Forum Football Game Fight Club League
warhammer historical pirates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

TJSKI
Average

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject:

TeutonicTexan wrote:
Hey Tim, welcome to the forum!!

I bought a pirate clan a little while ago, yet unpainted, but anticipated using Rattrap's Under the Black Flag rules. Looks like I might wait and see about LotHS first.

Rattrap's Under the Black Flag is a good set of rules, I have not tried them, but have taken a look at them. I would suggest trying out both and play with the one you like best. I can tell you that Under the Black Flag uses the Glorie system, and LotHS use the system found in LotOW & LotR. My preference would be for the LotHS, but I might be biased

Tim

TJSKI
Average

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject:

Rob Duffy wrote:
Hi Tim,

Welcome to a great forum. Really looking forward to this game book.

So any news you have whilst compiling would be great to hear on here.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

What do you want to know? Like how long I have been working on them or where my inspiration came from, that sort of thing?

Tim

kevin
Master Level 3

3 Competition Wins

Werewolf Hunter

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:

Steve wrote:
Are there going to be any Undead crews?

typical...

nice Avatar Tim, is it Teach himself?

dm
Master Level 3

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject:

welcome aboard Tim and looking forward to the rules

RJ
Master Level 2

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject:

Hi Tim

Looking forward to the book alot.

Toby Barrett
Master

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:

HI Tim ,

Welcome to the forum.

To get us started what about a heads up re: crew number, make up etc. It takes me an age to get anything painted so an idea of what I’m aiming for would be great.

I know that you need to keep some secrets though !

Cheers

Toby

Rob Duffy
Master Level 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

Just any info your willing to share Tim. Mainly, when is it due for release? How long you been working on it? etc.

Need a play tester

Rob

http://robsminipainting.blogspot.com/

TJSKI
Average

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
Steve wrote:
Are there going to be any Undead crews?

typical...

nice Avatar Tim, is it Teach himself?

You are correct!

Tim

TJSKI
Average

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Toby Barrett wrote:
HI Tim ,

Welcome to the forum.

To get us started what about a heads up re: crew number, make up etc. It takes me an age to get anything painted so an idea of what I’m aiming for would be great.

I know that you need to keep some secrets though !

Cheers

Toby

Toby,

Well there will be 3 different types of Crews, Pirates, Royal Navy & Privateers. If your are familiar with LotOW, you will have a crew of about 10 figures to start with, some Crews have more than others. I topped out most of the crews with about 25 - 30 figures.

Now I know that real pirates often had way more crew than this as well as most ships of the time. But I wanted to try and keep this to a skirmish style game. But the rules could support more on a crew. What I heard from my play testers was that they couldn't fit more of their crews on the decks of the ships. But like I said, you can always go with bigger crews. (I ran a crew of about 40 just to see what would happen).

Most crew types have 3 or 4 hero types (Officers & Captains), then you have your (what I call Upper henchmen) which you can have up to 5 or so, then you have regular sailors (Lower henchmen).

Hope that gives you an idea...

Tim

TJSKI
Average

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Rob Duffy wrote:
Just any info your willing to share Tim. Mainly, when is it due for release? How long you been working on it? etc.

Need a play tester

Rob

Rob,

Well release date is set for End of Sept in the UK and Oct for the USA, thats as long as nothing major happens. It was supposed to be out in August, but Rob Broom (his wife actually) had twins, then he got sick for about a month, so that pushed everything back.

How long have I been working on this??? Hmm, I think I started on it back when GW released Fellowship of the Rings game. Our local group here in Phoenix had a guy (Tom Opalka, another WAB Author/contributer) that would run a huge Pirate game. While the rules were fun, it took all day to play. So when I saw LotR I thought perfect! These rules will work for this and many other periods.

Well as most things go, I drafted up a rough set of rules than moved on to something else. It wasn't until a certain Pirate movie that came out & a certain Old West game, that I thought about what I had done. So I dug it out and started working on it again. Then I had Tom O tell me I should send in a proposal to Rob B. So I did and then I waited and wrote. While waiting I read anything I could find about Pirates and the era, A book that I loved & shed much light was, Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates (Harvest Book): By David Cordingly. This book helped in so many ways and is a must read.

The final manuscript was sent to Rob B on the first weekend of Dec 2006, and the rest is history.

Sorry, we have a ton of playtesters all ready & I have to say they put the book thru the ringer. Play testing is key, and what you think works one day, playtesters will find issues with it & you have to change it the next day. But thats what they are there for.

Okay I think I bored you all enough...

Tim

Toby Barrett
Master

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Tim,

I just need to get painting now!

Cheers

Toby

Paul Baker
Master Level 2

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Welcome on board Tim

Can you tell us want sort of land based scenario's there will be or do we all have to purchase ships

Drew
Master Level 1

Supporting Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Welcome Tim

Looks like I need to paint some pirates after I get around to my LotOW posse.

TJSKI
Average

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Paul Baker wrote:
Welcome on board Tim

Can you tell us want sort of land based scenario's there will be or do we all have to purchase ships

Paul,

I wrote the rules so that you wouldn't need to purchase or build a 25mm ship if you didn't want to. There are nine scenarios that cover everything from buried treasue to sacking a town. One scenario is designed as a boarding action of two ships, so all you would need is two ship deck plans to play the battle.

There was talk of having a ship deck plan be included in the book so folks didn't have to build or buy a ship, but that is up to the WHH folks to decide if that will be in there or not.

So no you do not have to have a ship to play the game, just a bunch of savage sea dogs and your set. But Pirates really need a nice ship, and it looks so cool when you have them on a table.

Funny story, when playtesting LotHS at our local shop, there were a bunch of people playing Wizkids Pirates game (the collectable card ship). And when we busted out my two ships (both about 12" long) and set up our Crews, they all came over to watch and wanted to know what game we were playing. They totally forgot about there game and thought theirs ships looked small and they all wanted our size ships

Tim

thehermit
Master Level 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject:

does anyone of any suppliers of suitable ships?

www.townofimelda.blogspot.com
Post new topic       Steve Dean Painting Forum Index -> Gaming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: